Monday, October 10, 2011

My First Week in Firenze!

First week in Florence We were on the bus pretty much all day but arrived in Florence around 8pm. We were all taken to our separate pensiones where dinner was waiting. My first Italian meal! I don’t remember exactly what I had but I know that it was delicious and pasta was probably involved. After dinner we walked down to the Duomo (which you can see from school. How crazy is that?) and over to the Ponte Vecchio. I cant believe I will be living here for a year! Everything is so beautiful it’s unreal. I made a big deal about dragging everyone to get gelato with me because I managed to hold out during the entire opening tour specifically so that my gelato experience would not be tainted with non-italian gelato. I picked the first place we walked by, and in retrospect that was a horrible decision because now I know that it was overpriced and not great quality, but I had to start somewhere ☺ The next day was our first day of school. The school is about a 5 minute walk from my pensione and it is one 4 story building. It’s so weird to have all my classes in one building again! Very convenient though. I had class from 8:30-11:30 and then was done for the day. After lunch in the pensione my roommates and I went shopping for school supplies (I am now a proud owner of some very cool animal notebooks from the 99 cent store) and food. We don’t get dinner made for us on Thursday nights so we decided to have a roomy dinner! We bought a baguette, some prosciutto, some kind of delicious cheese, a tomato, grapes, and of course vino! We had ourselves a delicious and homemade sandwich before exploring the club scene of Florence. The next day (Friday) we had a school-wide meeting where we met the staff and learned about the different activities we can do through the school. Did I mention I don’t have school on Fridays? Its nice ☺ During this weekend and the ensuing week I just got adjusted to life in Firenze. I bought an Italian phone, got myself internet, walked a TON, I feel like ive been all over Florence already! I also got gelato pretty religiously and by the end of the first week I had a favorite place already (La Carraia. Its kind of far away but the cheapest and best gelato I’ve been able to find. Coconut is my new favorite flavor, but only when accompanied by some kind of chocolate). At some point during this week my roommates and I found Dante’s, a restaurant that serves free wine to students, so that made for an entertaining night! Weeks go by so quickly when you only have four days of class, so before I knew it it was Friday morning and I was off to Venice! I’ll make a separate post about that later ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment